This page may contain affiliate links. Click here to learn more about what that means.
I Love Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes!
They are so easy, they make a ton of food, and I am still shocked at how yummy slow cooker meals can be when you are really just throwing a bunch of stuff in a giant pot and just letting it cook all day. That wasn’t really an infomercial-worthy pitch, but I promise you’ll love this Slow Cooker Moroccan Beef Stew! This recipe will also be in the 4 Weeks to Wellness Cookbook, the companion book to 4 Weeks to Wellness: A Month of Real Food for a Lifetime of Health. Seriously, this book will teach you everything you’ve ever wanted to know about real, healthy food…including how to actually get more of it into your life.
A sweet and smoky beef stew, with ten minutes of prep time
Seriously, ten minutes…that’s it. This recipe uses beef stew meat (which is typically pre-cut), canned tomatoes and chick peas and lots o’ spices. The only chopping required is the onion, garlic, and dried apricots. It doesn’t get much easier than that. I make this Moroccan Beef Stew pretty much every week. My favorite toppings are pumpkin seeds and mashed avocado, but you can top it however you like.
Turn this Moroccan Beef Stew into a freezer meal!
I am all about freezer prep, especially now that I am preparing for another baby. With this recipe, you can prep most of your ingredients ahead of time, pop them into the freezer, and dump them into the slow cooker when you need a quick meal. There are just a few ingredients you’ll want to have on hand that you’ll add on the day of cooking. Note – If you are NOT making this ahead of time, simply place all of the ingredients in the slow cooker at the same time.
- 1 1/2 lbs. beef stew meat, pre-cut or cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 14.5oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dried cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups beef broth or stock
- 1 15oz. can cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- ½ cup chopped dried apricots (can sub ½ cup golden raisins)
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Optional–Sear meat on all sides before cooking.
- Add all ingredients except chickpeas and apricots to slow cooker. Stir well to combine. Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Add chickpeas and apricots to slow cooker and cook for an additional 1 to 2 hours, until meat is cooked through and vegetables are soft.
- Top as desired. I recommend mashed avocado and pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds).
Freezer Meal Instructions:
- Add meat, onion, carrots, tomatoes, garlic and spices to a large freezer bag. Mix the contents up a bit, remove as much air as possible from the bag and seal tightly. Label with the name of the meal, date frozen, and list the ingredients that need to be added day of cooking, as well as the cooking time. Lay flat to freeze.
- On day of cooking, empty contents of bag into slow cooker. Add stock and stir well. Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. Add chickpeas and apricots and cook for an additional 1 to 2 hours. Top as desired.
© 2018 What I Gather.
Ready for more?
4 Weeks to Wellness
This book will teach you everything you’ve ever wanted to know about real food – what it is, how to shop for it it, cook it, get your kids to love it, and how to make it work for YOU!
Get the Book!